So, let’s get down to business roasting some garlic, shall we?
How to Roast Garlic in Four Easy Steps
- “Unwrap” the garlic. Cut the head (top) off.
- Brush olive oil, salt, and pepper on bulbs.
- Wrap in foil.
- Roast & eat!
It really is that easy. An added bonus is your house will smell amazing. Like- you will probably want to eat it. Yes, your house. ;)
Buy all the garlic bulbs. Yes. All of them. ;). Kidding. Buy as many as you want to roast. The sky is the limit!
Unwrap the garlic, peeling away any loose pieces of garlic skin/paper (see ?? – no loose pieces hanging off the garlic bulb).
Next, cut the tops off of each garlic bulb using a sharp knife.
Now you’re going to drizzle each bulb with olive oil (any oil will work). Then you can do what we do and sprinkle some salt and cracked pepper onto the bulbs. The more cracked pepper- the better (at least we think!).
I love the next step because it means that it’s about to go down. And by that, I mean that your neighbors are going to be running through your front door because they can smell the garlic cookin’.
You’re gonna wrap the garlic bulbs in foil. You can put them all together in one big piece of foil or you can wrap them up individually. I think they cook faster when they are wrapped individually and it’s just easier, but that’s just a personal preference. Do what you want (in terms of foil) and rock on with your bad self.
After you’re finished wrapping them in foil place them on a baking sheet. You’re gonna bake these delicious balls of heaven in a 400 degree oven for about 40 min, until the middle clove of garlic is soft when pierced with a knife. To get the tops all caramelized ?? just keep baking.
Ways to Use Roasted Garlic
- Eat it by itself (it’s that good)
- Smear on crackers, bread, or toast
- Replace raw garlic in any recipe (sauces, stir fry’s, dips, etc)
And that’s it, my friends! Easy peasy.
- To Roast the Garlic
- Garlic bulbs/heads (1 or more)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Aluminum foil
- Baking pan
- [b]Heat:[/b] the oven to 400 degrees F- place rack in middle position.
- [b]Peel:[/b] the loose “skin” (aka paper) away from bulb using your hands. Leave bulb and all cloves in tact including a couple layers of skin.
- [b]Cut:[/b] the top of each garlic off- about 1/4 inch to expose garlic cloves.
- [b]Brush/Drizzle: [/b]olive oil on top of garlic cloves. Sprinkle salt and pepper on tops (if using).
- [b]Wrap & Roast: [/b] Wrap the cloves individually or all together in one piece of foil. Place on baking sheet and roast for about 40 min, or until the center clove is soft when pierced with knife.
- [b]Eat or Store:[/b] Serve warm by pushing each clove out from the bottom. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks. Store in freezer (individually wrapped in foil then placed in ziplock bag) for up to 3 months.
Show me how you chef like-a-boss. Snap a pic and hashtag it #flipflopkitchen when you make this. I’d ❤️ to see!