Today is THE day…
Like- not only is it actually June 1st (AHHH S-U-M-M-E-R! Boats, sun, fun, & umbrella drinks) but it is also the day that I tell you a meaty little secret.
Are you craving meat but either 1) don’t eat meat or 2) are trying to eat less of it?
THE SECRET: >> Then eat portobello mushroom caps. << End secret.
Yep! It’s the truth. In my meat-brain, portobello mushroom caps replace beef (OMG! Did a beef-lover like myself just say that?!? ). I did. Because it’s true.
We love marinating and grilling (ummm, HELLO Summer!) those big ‘ol portobello mushroom caps, and stuffing them with goat cheese and fresh herbs. We serve them up alongside some sautéed greens (think escarole, chard, collards, etc etc). It is our go-to meatless meal in our casa.
Say it with me: -> Meatless meal. Meatless meal. Meatless meal.
A few years ago that phrase would’ve made me cry. LITERALLY. Like, what?!? No M-E-A-T? I would’ve shrieked and cried that a meal isn’t a meal at all without meat, but I’m telling you, it (replacing beef with portobello caps) is a real meal and let me introduce you to one of my favorite new meatless meal friends…
>> Roasted balsamic portobello tacos with gorgonzola sauce. <<
“Hey there!” (hand-wave) they say- because portobello tacos really do things like hand-waves and say “hey there!”
Steps to make these meatless portobello tacos taste like heaven:
- Slice, marinate and roast portobello mushroom caps.
- Make homemade gorgonzola sauce.
- Heat tortilla shells in pan. Serve.
See? Easy peasy.
Make easy & delish recipes with me! ↓
Different Topping Ideas for ‘Da Bomb’ Roasted Balsamic Portobello Tacos with Gorgonzola Sauce:
Choose 1, Some, or All:
- Cilantro- freshly torn or chopped
- Sliced jalapeños
- Lettuce- any kind
- Lime juice- lots of it freshly squeezed
- Chopped red cabbage
Our Favorite Kitchen Tools for Making this Recipe a Bit Easier:
– Half Sheet Baking Sheet– these are a must have in any kitchen. They are bigger than a “normal” baking sheet. We use them for anything and everything and have had the same ones for 2+ years. -> http://amzn.to/1PkvpKi
– Silicone Baking Mats- Don’t let the name fool ya. These aren’t just used for baking. We use them to cook anything we put into the oven on our half-sheet baking sheets. Makes clean up a breeze (no scrubbing pans). -> http://amzn.to/2duQKnT
– Large Pyrex Glass Bowl– We got ours from a set and use them for everything. The entire set comes with a top for each oft he 4 bowls. That’s a win-win, especially at this cost (12.97 at time of this post). -> http://amzn.to/25yy33b
And there you have it! The best meatless portobello tacos you ever will eat.
Say it with me (one more time): // “Meatless meal” // so good that you won’t even miss the meat…
[ mic drop…]
- For the Mushrooms
- 12 oz portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, and sliced 1/2 inch
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar (any kind- we used white)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- For Gorgonzola Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 oz wedge gorgonzola, cut into cubes
- For the Tacos
- Toppings (your choice): freshly torn cilantro, sliced jalapeños, any kind lettuce, arugula, tomatoes, onions, radishes, chopped red cabbage, freshly squeezed lime juice
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar to large bowl. Add sliced mushrooms. Toss to combine.
- Lay out evenly on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Salt and pepper as desired. Bake for 10-12 min, or until slightly soft.
- Whisk butter, milk, and flour in small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot (careful not to boil/burn the milk).
- Add 1/2 the amount of cheese, whisking constantly until smooth. Repeat with remaining cubes of cheese. Remove from heat. Serve immediately.
- Heat small saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Place tortilla in pan for 10-15 seconds (or until bubbling). Flip over and repeat with tortilla.
- Repeat above steps until all tortillas are heated.
- Place 3-5 slices of mushroom caps onto warmed tortilla. Pour desired amount of gorgonzola sauce on top of mushrooms.
- Top with toppings of your choice. Serve.
>> STOP! (collaborate & listen)- happens to me every time. ;) Really I just want hang with you and see how you make this recipe, so when you make it, tag @sodamndelish on Instagram, yo! We’ll be besties. <<