These 20 minute grilled chicken fajitas with jalapeño lime sauce are packed and loaded with flavor. Homemade fajita seasoning, peppers, and chicken all grilled to perfection and topped with an easy jalapeño lime sauce. Epic.
Oh my my my, y’all…
I’m pretty speechless (which is highly unusual ;)) when it comes to these seriously epic grilled chicken fajitas. That’s how good they are. We’re talkin’ a bold homemade fajita seasoning that really packs a flavor punch when rolled up into a tortilla and topped with the jalapeño lime sauce. So much so, the kids went back for seconds and thirds. #parentingwin
Pretty groovy, huh? I thought so too. I’ll take all the parenting wins I can get because parenting is the exact opposite of easy, amiright? And because parenting is hard sometimes, raise your hand if you’re always lookin’ for a fast, easy, and delish meal? (>>>raises hand).
Well, look no further friends, these grilled chicken fajitas take under 20 minutes to make. Yep- that includes seasoning, prepping, and grilling. Now, that’s what I like to call #winningatlife, especially when it’s one of those #parentingfail days…
The Low Down on Grilled Chicken Fajitas with Jalapeño Lime Sauce :
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning: I don’t know about you but I have a spice cabinet loaded with every day spices. So for this fajita seasoning I pulled out chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, corn starch, salt, and sugar, and shook it all up in a ziplock bag and voila! You have an amazingly bold fajita seasoning.
- Grilled Chicken: You’re gonna add your chicken to the homemade fajita seasoning in the ziplock bag to create the most flavorful and bold fajita chicken you have ever tasted. I promise you. Then you grill it to perfection before slicing it into thin strips.
- Jalapeño Lime Sauce: This sauce literally takes one minute to throw together in a food processor or blender. We’re talkin’ sour cream, jalapeño, cilantro, fresh lime juice, and salt. All of those ingredients add up to a sauce that will blow your mind on top of the grilled chicken with homemade fajita seasoning. Doesn’t get better that!
Back to the #parentingfail I mentioned earlier… you didn’t think I’d leave ya hangin’ did ya?
I know I’m not the only one with parenting fail days, right? Please say no. ;).
However, I guess I’m glad for failing at parenting one day last week because I was so tired, but wanted something good for dinner, so we whipped up these epic grilled chicken fajitas in less than 20, y’all.
Oh- what was the parenting fail this day in particular, you may ask?
Cleaning. Cleaning. Cleaning. And gutting the little kids’ room to the tune of 5 hours. I’m talking trash bag after trash bag after trash bag was either thrown away or donated. Saying I gutted the kids’ room would be an understatement. I really don’t understand how two tiny humans can make the biggest darn mess I’ve ever had to organize… and because my lack of making them clean their own rooms every day, it ended up in an epic #parentingfail because I had to gut that room like it was my day job.
Oh, wait. It WAS my day job that day because it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r.
So, in addition to making these grilled chicken fajitas to make your life easier, you can also make your life easier by asking your kiddos to pick up their room every. single. night. before bed. And yes, I mean every single night. If you skip a night then you’ll be in there gutting their room the next day- it is summer after all, and mine don’t leave the house unless I do, unless it’s to play at the next door neighbors. ;)
GET NEW RECIPES SENT TO YOUR INBOX, YO!
20 Minute Grilled Chicken Fajitas with Jalapeño Lime Sauce
Yield 4-6 servings
These 20 minute grilled chicken fajitas with jalapeño lime sauce are loaded with flavor. Homemade fajita seasoning, peppers, and chicken all grilled to perfection and topped with an easy jalapeño lime sauce.
For the Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Chicken Fajitas
- 1.5 pounds chicken cutlets
- 3 bell peppers (any color), seeds and stem removed, halved
- 1 large red onion, unpeeled, halved *
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Flour tortillas, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
For the Jalapeño Lime Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeño, seeds and stem removed**
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Fajita Seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
For the Cilantro Lime Sour Cream Sauce
- Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
For the Chicken Fajitas
- Oil grates and preheat grill to med-high heat.
- Add all ingredients for fajita seasoning to gallon size ziplock bag. Seal. Toss to combine. Add chicken cutlets and 1 Tablespoon olive oil to bag. Seal. Toss until all cutlets are covered in seasoning. Set aside.
- Add halved peppers and onion to a gallon size ziplock bag. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to bag. Seal. Toss to evenly coat.
- Place chicken cutlets, peppers, and onion onto grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes. Flip. Grill for 30 seconds-2 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are slightly charred***. Let cool 2-4 minutes.
- OPTIONAL: heat tortillas on grill over med-high heat for 10-40 seconds each side.
- Remove skin from onion and slice ends off. Slice chicken, peppers, and onion into 1/4 inch strips. Serve on flour tortillas with jalapeno lime sauce, cilantro, and lime wedges, if desired.
*Leave skin and ends on onion so it stays together while grilling. After your grilling is finished, you will cut the skin and ends off!
**removing the seeds from the jalapeño makes it less spicy. The sauce was not spicy at all with the seeds removed. If you want spicy leave the seeds intact.
*** the onion may take 1-4 more minutes of grilling time depending on size. Grill until charred, soft, yet crisp.