This red wine braised beef roast is an easy one-pot meal that is downright comfort food.
- 2–3 lb Beef Chuck Roast
- 1 cup flour, for dredging
- 1 16oz bag baby carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 3–4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine (shiraz or cabernet) *
- 2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Roast
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Dry roast with paper towels. Liberally season with salt and pepper.
- Place flour on plate. Dredge seasoned roast on all four sides through the flour. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in dutch oven (or ovenproof pot) on medium-high heat. When hot add roast and sear all four sides for 2-3 min per side**. Set roast aside on plate.
For the Carrots, Onion, & Garlic
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in dutch oven (after searing roast) over medium high heat. When hot add garlic, onions, and carrots. Sauté for 4-6 minutes- or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add DRY red wine to deglaze pan, scraping up the small bits. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 min.
- Add beef broth, worcestershire, dried thyme, sage, bay leaf, and salt and pepper (to taste).***
- Submerge roast into liquid, carrots, onions, and garlic. Place lid on dutch oven.
It all Comes Together
- Cook for 2-3 hours in oven (our 2lb roast took 2 hours), or until meat falls apart with fork.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 20 minutes. Serve. ****
* if you do not have wine on hand or just want to omit it all together you can use 1 cup beef broth in its place.
** you may want to turn on your oven fan while searing the roast.
*** we used 1 tsp of salt while adding all the herbs into the pot
****we served this over mashed potatoes and it was delish!