Hello there weekend! ?? < << High five!
There’s just somethin’ about the summer coming to an end that… Okay. Alright- I’ll just stop there since we live in Florida and it’s pretty much summer 365 days a year. ☀️
So, let’s start over, shall we?
There’s just somethin’ about Summer coming to an end in many places around the world (besides Florida) that just makes a girl want to whip up a pitcher of fresh margaritas, call the girls over, and
nibble devour some warm tortilla chips and homemade pico de gallo. Ya feel me? Good.
And I ain’t kidding when I say that this pico de gallo is so bold, yet light and fresh, and packs a punch when it comes to flavor.
I mean, it has EVERYTHANG that makes you go hhhmmmmm- where has this been all my life? And when I say EVERYTHANG I mean things like → ripened red tomatoes, crisp white onions, freshly chopped chives, chopped garlic, bold-like jalapeños, and fresh cilantro drizzled with lime juice and some spices. And it’s only about 700% addicting.
Did I mention chips? Yes? Don’t forget the chips my friends. And I’m talking real chips here. Authentic Mexican chips, warmed in the oven, and covered in salt if you’re using this pico de gallo in DIPPING FORM.
You can also use this amazingly delicious pico de gallo in TOPPING FORM- like for tacos, burritos, eggs, steaks, and chicken. Heck, come to think of it, Beau and I even used it in SALAD FORM while we were catching some rays on our back porch/deck thingie. Under the trees. At night. Well evening. Okay, so the rays weren’t rays of sun, but they were still rays of light, ummmmm k? Now that that is settled…
Seriously, my mind is wondering. Does yours ever do that? It’s constant here. I’m always saying ‘HOLLA Jen, stop doing 27 things at once’. But alas, my mind wins and it still does all 27 things at once. And right now it wants to go to the fridge and just start slurping this pico de gallo down- even if it is with a spoon. Straight. Straight from the fridge. Because, you know, it’s 700% addicting. Don’t judge me.
So, use the summer coming to and end as an excuse to make this light and fresh pico de gallo, and behold a taste of summertime greatness in your mouth. Or, if it’s winter, do yo’ thang and make this pico de gallo to give you the sweet taste of summer in your mouth.
And I promise you I won’t judge ya when you tell me that you also were sneaking to the fridge to eat it by the spoonfuls…
Light and Fresh Pico de Gallo
Yield 4 cups
- 4 cups roma tomatoes, diced (about 14 small-medium roma's)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño diced (remove seeds if less heat desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, chives, cilantro, clove, white onion, and jalapeño to a 1.5qt - 2qt bowl.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste over the ingredients, stir.
- Juice one lime into the bowl, mix well.
- Refrigerate for 30 min to allow flavors to combine and for the lime juice to extract juices from tomatoes. Serve.
Store in the fridge up to 5 days. Recipe roughly takes 14 small-medium roma tomatoes or about 9-10 large.
Serving Size 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Show me how you chef like-a-boss. Snap a pic and hashtag it #flipflopkitchen when you make this. I’d ❤️ to see!